Sunday 11 September 2011

Basil Fawlty would have been proud with this level of service


I was at a conference last week and heard one presenter after another, from economists to marketing experts, confirm that changing times and an uncertain business world would be the norm for some time to come.

High levels of customer service were given as the anecdote for these uncertain times, keep your customer happy and your business will survive and thrive, so I was appalled when a few days later I experienced the WORST kind of customer service.

For more than 12 months I’ve met my members at a certain golf club on the north shore for a healthy light lunch - until last month when, for some obscure reason they served us an unhealthy lunch of fried fish nuggets and chips! As our plates hit the table there was an embarrassed silence, which I quickly filled with an apology, assuring them this is not what I had ordered, nor the usual standard of fare. 

A few weeks later they sent me an invoice for the meal, surprised they hadn’t called me to discuss I immediately rang and again raised my concerns about the meal. I mentioned that I would have to compensate my guests for the food - I promise a light and healthy lunch and they got fried food.  The functions manager who is a lovely but powerless chap said he had no authority in this matter and he would refer it to the general manager.  I received an email saying  "there will not be any possibility of financial compensation".  No phone call, no discussion! Annoyed they didn’t have the decency to call me I fired back with this:

"Your general manager obviously has no idea how to keep customers.  What was served up was a disgrace!  I could get better food at the local 2 star hamburger joint and as David will testify my members felt similarly as the food was still on the plate when he cleared the tables.  It was inedible.  Please have your general manager call me as soon as possible to sort this out". 

I didn't hear a word.

I wondered whether I was going a little crazy, expecting too much from this north shore golf club so I spoke with a few mates of mine in the restaurant business to get their perspective.  Their jaws dropped in horror!

I persevered and put in another call to the general manager who finally deemed it important enough to call me back.  Not really helpful though as this was all he said:

"I will not discuss this with you until the invoice has been paid in full, I will not discuss this with you until the invoice has been paid in full, I will not discuss this with you until the invoice has been paid in full".

When in huge frustration I said "I can't believe you won't conduct a conversation till I pay the invoice he said with great sarcasm "you're a quick learner, you've finally got it, and no I won't discuss this till the invoice is paid in full".  At this point I knew there was no return so I finished the phone call.

I’m obviously frustrated by the experience, particularly because NO ONE WOULD LISTEN TO ME, so what's the cost of ignoring your customers?

I will never return - a regular monthly booking for local businesswomen
I have told the story many times over to friends and colleagues
I will mention it to my extended network
I could well publish a blog about it.

And all because they wouldn't listen to me, speak to me, offer a compromise, show empathy and understanding of the embarrassment they created in front of my members and guests.  I wasn't going to ask for a full refund I just wanted a fair hearing and a sympathetic ear.

We can all learn from this experience.  You don't need to work in the realm of 'the customer is always right' but you do have to listen, learn, show empathy and understanding and god forbid apologise when it doesn't go right.

I'd love to hear your thoughts.  Is this the norm in Australia?

7 comments:

WomenWise said...

I do hope this never gets to be the norm! In fact I am trying to ensure that does not happen with my new business directory. Aimed at women, for women (www.womenwise.com.au). Striving to rid this world of bad service through ratings and our online army of womenwise ears.

Leonie Smith said...

Suzy I saw your original Tweet about this, also the following ones that the G.M was going to sue!

I'd love to know why they served you that meal? did they run out of salad? did they get the menu mixed up? even if you hadn't specified on this particular occasion, you wanted light healthy means, you would think that after your many other functions someone would call you to say, oh did you know your ticked the box for kids meals by mistake?

Not being in your business I have no idea if this is the norm, but as far as his attitude went, wow..what school of "the customers always wrong" did he go to???

Not only that, the club has caused you embarrassment and that's a sure way to make a customer angry.

Seems like they ticked every box on the "what not to do" to be in the business of hospitality!

The food and beverages are very much a part of these types of functions, whilst its about networking, and fun and education, if you pay a fee to go, you expect a nice meal.

You go girl!

Leonie Smith

Amanda Webb said...

Hi Suzy, feel free to expose the venue (and I know which golf course it is!). Apart from being on the receiving end of such supreme rudeness and immaturity on behalf of the business manager, I can't believe that they didn't clear your plates and replace the meal with something more appropriate IMMEDIATELY. I worked as a professional events manager for many years, and understand that if people are well-fed and watered, the event will typically go very well for you. May I suggest you write a letter to the venue, and address it to the Management Committee? Take it to the top, your treatment has been outrageous and they need to know about it.

Along the same lines, at the recent North Ryde She Business lunch, I placed a complaint with the waiter, explaining that my vegetarian meals have been too small, without any extras, and that I leave each meeting still feeling ravenous. The waiter simply apologised and agreed, confessed the vegetarian meals are "entree size" - and assured me I will have a full-sized meal with all the trimmings that my meat eating friends get next time. Gary's response was so supportive and apologetic, I can't wait for the next She Biz lunch at Atlantis Restaurant, North Ryde as I know I'll be looked after... Hats off to them! Cheers, Amanda

Victoria Judge said...

I think this is an extreme example but I do agree that customer service is a dying art. Providing an exceptional customer experience has been pushed to the side in favour of increasingly aggressive and insubstantial marketing efforts: it's all about the hunt for new business, instead of focusing on making the existing clients feel great.

suzy jacobs said...

Hi Leonie
Unfortunately, because they refused to speak to me I could never ascertain what went wrong! It was a stone-wall from the start.
Amanda, I've just finished writing to the board and will see if they deem it important enough to bother with a reply.
Victoria, I don't believe it is this bad but I do agree that more needs to be done to keep a good relationship with existing customers.

Kristin said...

I was there on the day and the food was very nasty - none of us touched really anything but the side salad.

So Mr Golf Club manager, not only have you embarrassed yourself in front of the women that were there that day and now the readers of this blog, but I've told everyone I know never to hold an event there too.

And as for paying the bill in full before listening to a complaint - d'oh - that's right there won't be ANY bills to be paid in the future.

Wake up and smell the coffee Golf Club people.

Anonymous said...

You say that you have used this golf club for over 12 months without any problems before so why now have you chosen to make such defamatory remarks after one poor experience?

The customer service after the event was inexcusable. HOWEVER what you do not appear to have considered is the damage you have potentially done to this club.

You don't explain why this matter was not raised immediately with the staff. Common business practice is to raise the complaint/concern immediately whether it is with staff or, in this instance with a supplier.

Refusing to pay when you have been issued with an invoice a few weeks later with the reason that you were unhappy with the food is somewhat suspicious.

Your response to the venue was rude and antagonistic. It would have been more beneficial to have stated on the day, or in writing no later than 24 hours, 1) what the problem was 2) the impact it had on you and your meeting 3) what you expected as an outcome.

It is disappointing that you have chosen a public platform and social media to embarrass another business owner when this could have been managed with patience. There is an incongruence with your business message regarding supporting business women when here you have done the complete opposite.

Words can't be unsaid and when we are in a position of authority and trust we need to be mindful what crosses our lips and aware of the harm and damage venting our spleen online can do.