Monday 16 May 2011

Frank Sinatra did it his way .. are you doing it yours?

Good morning Gorgeous People

OK, let's be clear the end isn't near and I'm not being overly sentimental, but I am doing it my way.

You may have read a previous post where I asked the question "Is it time for Networking to evolve?". I wrote it hoping to start a discussion about the pitfalls of poorly organised get-togethers that reduce our industry to a joke. It did start a hearty discussion and I thank all those people who took the time to comment and get in touch. However I was also surprised by the sheer quantity of phone calls and emails I received from members, colleagues and friends who assumed from my post that I hate networking!

"Far from it" I cried in defence of my position.

Please be clear, I love networking, it comes naturally to me, and it's hands down the most cost effective way to meet a whole bunch of people.

But that's it - for the most part you're just meeting a whole bunch of people who are putting on their best face and offering their best pitch. It's not a bad place to start a networking strategy but it's an awful place to finish it. Your networking strategy must evolve if you're to enjoy long term business relationships that result in a sustainable and profitable two-way funnel.

So here are just 3 of my tips that will have you evolve your network strategy:

  1. Be selective about the events you attend
  2. Follow up with anyone of interest within 3 days of the event. I use Linkedin as my core online network, it's the most professional and allows you to stay connected with your new-found colleagues no matter their change of business / career status. But please! If you're going to Link-in with someone take the time to write a personal note, it takes only a matter of minutes but leaves a great impression
  3. Stay in touch - and not just with e-newsletters. Offer a personal touch, my personal favourite is the odd phone call to say hi, it's a much under-used communication tool and highly valued by those you meet.
I'll follow up next week with further tips for evolving your network strategy and in the mean time if you care to share any of your network strategies, do drop me a comment or visit us at www.shebusiness.com

1 comment:

Vicky said...

Great suggestions Suzy - its good to have some ideas on how to structure your networking