Thursday 21 July 2011

Just 7% of networkers follow up!

Good morning Gorgeous People

I've been getting out and about a bit lately. After going through the process of transitioning a business and being tied to my desk most hours of the day it's been a relief and a pleasure getting out there to network.

My 30 second pitch is going well (Suzy Jacobs, SHE Business Australia - our job is to create the ultimate forum for your business success etc etc), I've depleted my stock of business cards, over done the canapes and drunk more OJ than is good for me (no wine unfortunately).

I've collected close to 40 business cards at the past 3 events so I'm assuming I've given out as many.
Of the 40 business cards I've potentially given out, I've received just 3 follow up emails, linkedin requests or phone calls. Now I could take it personally but I don't! I make an objective assessment and can only conclude people aren't following up! On those numbers it means that as little as 7% of people are going through the process of converting a business card into potential business.

That's a phenomenal statistic. If you're going to the time, trouble and expense of meeting potential business connections you need to be following up so here's my 5 step guide for effective follow up.

1. For every business card you collect, write the date and event at which you collected it.
2. Decide which connections have potential
3. For the ones that don't have potential - send them a courteous email or linkedin request letting them know you appreciated meeting them.
4. The ones that have potential - connect with them via linkedin or email letting them know you're keen to develop the connection.
5. Do all of the above within 5 days of the event.

This way everyone feels validated, there are further openings for action and you're creating the optimum environment for converting that precious time into potential business.

No comments: